Saturday, March 2, 2013

Ragsak

"RAGSAK" is an Ilocano term which means happiness.  Of all words, I believe everyone has given the gift and the choice to  be happy.  In Ilocos, you would hear people say: "agragragsak tayo", "pinagragragsak manen", "nagragsak dan aya" and "makipagragragsak".  This is common when there are birthdays, weddings, graduations and even when you catch a fellow saying: "nangabakak ti jueteng! maragsakanak lang unay!".   Even in the simpliest detail of circumstances you can find the word "ragsak".

           PHOTOGRAPHED BY ALITTLETHINGCALLEDRAGSAK
 
 
Lessons in living that can make us feel good and eventually 
lead us to be  totally HAPPY. (",)
  
Happiness is not only for the rich,  material things can only provide superficial feeling of happiness.  The happiness that comes from within I think, is the best feeling to define this word. Seven years ago, I was on my way at work when one of these good souls approached me and kept telling me things about happiness, this is what she said: "Are you looking for happiness? You cannot find happiness, you create happiness. Happiness is in your heart." I was looking at her and trying to composed myself wondering why she was blurting out all these things right in front of my face.  Maybe because I looked grumpy, edgy and confused during those days.  A week after, I learned that this woman who gave me a snap lecture on happiness passed away. I just uttered a prayer thanking her for the courage and kind thoughts.   I am pretty sure she's now in a better place, relaying probably the same message to the lost souls.  

 When we see beauty in simple things, we find happiness. The moment we embrace our culture and traditions, we are trying to reconnect with our ancestors. We find happiness when  we reach out to others especially those who are in need.  Whenever we think of the best cuisine that we can share and prepare for our love ones, we definitely feel happy. We can imagine how we satisfy their cravings and hunger or even quench their thirst.  People from other places even other countries who have visited and witnessed the beauty and wonders of Ilocos usually give bowls of compliments. If only compliments are edible, I should have been full many times. I usually hear them say: "I'm so thankful and happy I've visited this place." One of my friends in the metro who had visited Ilocos two years ago mentioned to me, "Of all places I've been to here and abroad, there is one thing I would love to visit again...Ilocos!" (",)

You have the power and the will to choose.  Now, it is up to you. 

One little thought, one little choice can make a CHANGE... this little thing is called

 RAGSAK. (",)










No comments:

Post a Comment