Monday, March 4, 2013

Green Haven



You know what used to drive me nuts when I was a kid?  Whenever I see my vegetable garden bearing all those wonderful crops good for our “pinakbet” dish. Yes, my colossal appreciation to my father who first introduced and challenged me to have my own garden at a very young age. I remember him inevitably reminding me to focus and observe how it grows by day. It means I have to do all those necessary tasks work so I can get even. Honestly, it wasn’t a piece of cake! There is the usual work that needs to be done: watering, weeding, trimming, hacking back, pinching, deadheading, fertilizing... it's a never ending process. But it's the daily, small stuff that makes my garden beautiful.  So much learning from this experience.

 
 
   
 
My father was gifted with a real green thumb.  He could actually grow anything from seeds to stalk to branch to trunk.  Our home is surrounded and fenced with fruit bearing trees, plants of different kinds and vegetable garden.  The good thing about cultivating our own is we don’t need to buy at the supermarket.  Fresh fruits and vegetables are available in our own back and front yards. Just few steps from the door of our house, I can already have in my hand real fresh and green vegetables good for our lunch or sometimes dinner.   We also breed chicken, the native ones which is scrumptious when you cook it with “marunggay" or "bulong ti sili” and “papaya”. Voila! It’s tinola for lunch, the Ilocano way.  If there is one thing my family can’t give up, I would say it’s the vegetable dish served on every meal. 
 
my fave breed of corn - native
 
  
  
  
  
    
 
During summer, the weather in Ilocos is quite perturbing  unless, you decide to go to the beach and stay there for the whole time.  In our place, we can beat the blazing of the heat because of the shady  trees at our backyard. While resting in a comfy hammock securely tied on both ends of the mango tree, I usually bring with me a small kitchen knife, Ilocos “buggoong” mix it with Ilocos vinegar then I  pick some fresh green mangoes and peel them off. Solve! A mouthwatering merienda for free.
 
 
 
 
  
  
  
   
PHOTOGRAPHED BY ALITTLETHINGCALLED RAGSAK
ILOCOS NORTE, PHILIPPINES 
  
Having green surroundings create peace of mind. Waking up early in the morning and  the chance to listen to the chirping of the birds while sipping a cup of coffee with a perfect view is a blessing.   Watching at the beautiful little creature that hop from one flower to the other is somewhat wonderful.  With a book or a pen and paper,  I usually get an inspiration to read or to write anything that makes me feel good and happy.

 
Where on earth can you find  a place where you can relax, recharge and revive?  I believe it is only when you connect and commune with nature.


I grew up with this kind of environment. It is simple yet healthy and “naragsak!".
 
My home…my green haven… (“,)

2 comments:

  1. Planting is fun. i also like planting vegetables and fruits :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. yes kabsat, planting is a positive action we can do to help the environment and I think an excellent solution to the threat of global warming.. (",)

      Delete