Saturday, March 9, 2013

D.E.A.R. Time

D.E.A.R. stands for
Drop Everything And Read

What have you read lately? 

Do you set aside a hefty time at  least 30 minutes or an hour to grab a book and read? Are you aware that skimming pages of every book or any reading material can actually give oozing benefits especially to our brain?


Reading is a healthy habit.  A literate mind is a more complex one.  There is a richness we get in reading, the more we read, the more we think and imagine. The best stage  to expose our children in reading is at an early age for them to become  skilled readers. The younger, the better.  Reading is like running, the more you do it, the more benefits you get.

with genuine and prodigiously talented and ingenious
partners and friends...
miss you both padi and mary(",)

I started the love for reading when I was in grade school.  My first book, I never thought was a Bible.  It has a promising title, The Greatest is Love, though it is well written in English I couldn't really understand what it says, still I tried my best to turn every page and read every word.  I usually do read aloud way of reading.  I then shifted from bible to reading a famous Ilocano magazine which is Bannawag.  My uncle Ben (may he rest in peace+) was a voracious reader, he reads daily the Philippine Inquirer and Bannawag Magazine, so I got those chances to read also for free because I didn't need to buy. There was only one rule: no rumpling page or crease and make sure to put it back where you get it.  There was even this time that a very convincing woman came to our house, since my mother was out of the house, I did speak to her.  She was actually selling a book which I find interesting that time because the book has  colorful pictures and it costs a hundred.  As a gullible kid and for the desire to have the book on my hand, I decided to cracked my long time  bamboo bank (my version of piggy bank). It wasn't easy for me to let go of those coins because I have saved them up for christmas from my allowance in school. But that time, what matters to me is the colorful book, the book I wanted to have and read.  The woman even made an agreement to visit me every weekend so we can read the book together. I was so excited to show the book to my mother but afraid to tell her the truth that I've lost my savings.  When I showed her the book, she asked, "Why did you buy that book?" I told her, "Nanang, I like to read."  She understood my desire to read but didn't agree for the weekend reading session.  The next weekend, my mother talked to the woman and that was the last time I saw her.  Only to find out and understand later the reason  my mother reprimanded me with the reading session because the woman was actually one of those pulpiters of Saksi ni Jehova or Jehovas Witness.  Well, until now I still have the copy of the book, it makes me  smile and reminds me of one great experience, my fascination to prioritize a book more than anything else.


                             the famous ilocano magazine... Bannawag


Moreover, I would like to share with you the stream benefits of reading.  I hope you will find them really helpful to your kids and even yourself.

1.  increases knowledge and learning
2.  builds vocabulary
3.  helps improve comprehension skill
4.  boosts self-esteem and confidence
5.  develops communication skill
6.  enriches writing skill
7.  sharpens logical thinking skill
8.  widens creativity and imagination
9.  enhances concentration and discipline
10. stimulates the brain

Next time you go somewhere and you are at the brink of doing nothing, make yourself busy. Don't forget to bring a book with you and read.  Make reading a part of your daily routine. Remember there is so much "ragsak" in exploring the world of reading.

READ and REAP! (",)


Happy READING!(",)

No comments:

Post a Comment